Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Caversham/Reading & South Oxon Golf Club, Berkshire. (1910 - 1939)  

The Caversham & South Oxon Golf Club appears in 1910 with a course at Emmer Green designed by James Braid.

It later became the Reading & South Oxon Golf Club but old habits die hard and its former title was often used. 

It became known as Reading Golf Club in 1939.

Below a report on the opening of the clubhouse in November 1910.

 

Caversham/Reading & South Oxon Golf Club, Berkshire. Report on the opening in November 1910.

Reading Observer Saturday 5th November 1910. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

In 1914 the secretary was C Pett-Triscott, Golf Club Emmer Green, Caversham and the professional Alec H Bishop (1910 -1920). An 18–hole course with a club membership of 325. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £3/3/0 and ladies £2/2/0. Visitors’ fees were 2s/6d a day, ladies paid 1/6 with no restrictions. Sunday play was allowed with caddies. The station at Reading was about 2 miles away.

Later in 1914 the secretary was Albert Bird. 

Below the course pre-WW1.

 

Caversham/Reading & South Oxon Golf Club, Berkshire. The course on the 1914 Ordnance Survey Map.

Ordnance Survey Map © Crown Copyright {1914}

 

Thanks to Dixon Pickup for the pictures of the South Oxon Golf Club buttons below. There is no mention of Caversham on the buttons but judging by the size (22mm and 15mm) there was probably no room for the full name. Dixon suggests that the buttons are most probably pre WW1.  

 

Caversham/Reading & South Oxon Golf Club, Berks. Pre WW1 club buttons for South Oxon Golf Club.

 

 

Caversham/Reading & South Oxon Golf Club, Berks. Pre WW1 club buttons for South Oxon Golf Club.

Above images courtesy of Dixon Pickup.

 

The report below mentions the Caversham & South Oxon Golf Club.

 

Caversham/Reading & South Oxon Golf Club, Berks. Report from March 1914.

From The Reading Mercury Saturday March 28th 1914. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Result of the October 1914 monthly bogey competition at Caversham & South Oxon; A W Barlow, 2up; W E Pope and R E Crofts, all square; J Bruce Simmons, 1down; O Taylor and H D Hawkins, 2down.

In November 1914 the ladies' section held a flag competition in aid of the Queen's "Work for Women" Fund; winner, Miss M A Norris; second, Mrs G S Abram; third, Mrs J E S Griffith.

Result of the Maitland Cup played in February 1915; Semi-final - R E Crofts beat J Lee, 2 and 1; W B Williams beat J Bruce Simmons, 1up; Final - W B Williams beat R E Crofts, 3 and 2.

During WW1 most of the course was taken over for ploughing, grazing and for the growing of crops.

Meeting of the lady members in November 1920.

 

Caversham/Reading & South Oxon Golf Club, Emmer Green,Berks. Meeting of the lady members in November 1920.

Reading Mercury Saturday 20th November 1920.

 

A remarkable match was played In May 1922 in the final for the Crawshay Cup between F Neale and R Godden. The competition was played over 36-holes, in the event of the result being all square the same number of holes to be played again until a definite result was arrived at. Twice the full 36-holes were played and each time the match ended all square. On the third time of asking R Godden won at the 35th by 2 and 1. 

In the early and mid 1920s the secretary was J O Anderson, professional D Crook and the green-keeper ? Green. Course records were; amateur M E Neale 72; professional A H Bishop 69. Visitors' fees; 2/6 a day, weekends and bank holidays 3/6, 10/- a week, ladies 2/-, 3/-, 7/6. 

In 1927 the secretary was H D Hawkins. Membership was about 320. Local hotel was the Bridge. 

In the late 1920s Caversham & South Oxon Golf Club disappeared and Reading & South Oxon Golf Club appears. 

From the 1933 Golfer's Handbook; Reading and South Oxfordshire Golf Club, Emmer Green; membership of 325; secretary, Major H D Hawkins, D.S.O; professional, D Crook; green-keeper, Mr Green; course records - amateur, M E Neale, 72; professional - A H Bishop, 69; visitors - gents; 2s/6d a day, weekend 5s; ladies, 10s a week.

It was still appearing as the Reading & South Oxon Golf Club in 1937.

 

Caversham/Reading & South Oxon Golf Club, Berks. Report from The Bystander July 1937.

From The Bystander Wednesday July 28th 1937. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Below a report on the change of name to Reading Golf Club in May 1939. 

 

Caversham/Reading & South Oxon Golf Club, Berks. Change of name to Reading Golf Club in May 1939.

From the Reading Mercury Saturday 27th May 1939.