Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


East Finchley Golf Club. (1893 - 1905)

East Finchley Golf Club was founded in 1893.

Below a new golf club for East Finchley.


East Finchley Golf Club, London. A new golf club for East Finchley 1894.

From the Hampstead & Highgate Express Saturday 6 January 1894. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.


Club Professionals:-

Willie Duncan 1894-1896
B Skuse 1896/7
William Winton 1897-1900
James (Jack) Webb 1900-1902
A Tooley 1902-1904

Professional home-and-home match played at East Finchley on Saturday 8 September 1894. Willie Duncan of East Finchley took on Jamie Gow of Muswell Hill. It was a cold but fine day and a large crowd followed the players. Willie Duncan won the match by 8 and 6.

On Saturday July 18th July 1896 Willie Duncan, East Finchley professional, played J White, of Mitcham, in a 36-hole match at East Finchley, White winning by 5 and 4. 

Thanks to Golf Heritage @LdnGolfHistory for their help in compiling the following information from 1897.

Taken from Golfing and Cycling Illustrated September 1897. "The course lies in a valley and boasts picturesque views of Harrow-on-the-Hill, Highgate, Muswell Hill, and Fortis Green, a delightfully undulating landscape dotted with trees, striped with hedgerows, and with church spires peeping amid the scenery in that fashion of rural England which so delights the transatlantic visitor. Mr Walter Hill worthily fills the office of President, and the hon. secretaries are G W Pearce and W Minto. The club was founded in 1893 by Mr J Elder, who acted as hon. secretary until recently. The captain is George Elloit, and the vice-captain Mr J McDonald, both golfers of skill and dexterity."


East Finchley Golf Club, London. A group of East Finchley golfers.

A group shot of "Finchleyites."


East Finchley Golf Club, London. Walter Hill president of the club.

President, Walter Hill.


East Finchley Golf Club, London. George Elliot captain of the club 1898.

Captain, George Elliot.


"The first tee is near the pavilion, and the hole - about 250 yards - has a formidable ditch to cross with the drive; a sliced ball will trespass on No.9 green, and a pulled ball goes into the edge, ditch, or trees. Driving from the second tee one notices a belt of trees, a bunker, and a thick hedge some 60 yards away, and a ditch immediately in front of the green (200 yards from the tee) which are to be judiciously avoided; and about the same distance from the third green gapes a gravel pit, with a wood and a pond to welcome the sliced ball. A ditch and a hedge complete the array of hazards, and the hole measures 300 yards. about 100 yards from the fourth tee looms a large sand bunker, and dire is the doom of the topped ball, which invariably bolts for Balaclava - a formidably steep ascent - with irritating celerity, while a sliced ball finds a home in a mud bank. This hole is 250 yards and then comes (or should come) a nice, clean drive from the summit of Balaclava over the aforementioned mud bank. The approach needs care , as if too vigorous one is landed in the Norton Lees garden. This hole is 235 yards. No. 6 is 290 yards. A straight ball is rewarded with an excellent lie, but a pulled one lands in a mud bank, and a sliced one into a bunker by No. 7 green. The green is protected by a deep ditch, which has spoiled many a good card. Tall trees, a thick hedge, and a ditch means a careful drive is required from the seventh tee, and close to the green lurks a very fine and large bunker. This hole is 320 yards. No. 8 (350 yards) is a straight hole with little to worry about if the drive is straight, save the belt of trees and close-set hedge 180 yards from the tee, but a sliced ball is quickly out of bounds in Whitling's field. The most sporting hole on the course is No. 9 (230 yards) where good golf is needed. The tee is in the Dirthouse Wood and unless the drive is high, long, and straight, the lie will be a difficult one. These difficulties passed, a good approach shot lands on the "home sweet home" green just beyond the clubhouse. The greens are admirably kept by the green-keeper under the direction of the professional, Winton, from Montrose.

The Finchleyites number at present over 100 of the sterner sex and about thirty ladies. The former pay 2 guineas entrance fee and three guineas subscription. The record is held by Mr J McMurtie.

So here's to the health of the club - may it live long and prosper." 

On Saturday 17 December 1898 Mr W H Watts won the gold medal with a score of 84net, the silver medal went to Dr Knox with 88net.

Report on the annual dinner in February 1902.


East Finchley Golf Club, London. Report on the annual dinner in February 1902.

Luton Times and Advertiser Friday 14 February 1902. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.


The competition for the East Finchley Gold Medal was played in June 1903 and was won by J McDonald, 77 net; C W Pearce, 86 net, won the silver medal.


East Finchley Golf Club, London. East Finchley golf course postcard 1904.

East Finchley Golf Course. Postcard by G Smith, Photographer , posted February 1904. Authors Collection.


East Finchley Golf Club. Manor Farm Course.

This early 1900s postcard shows golf being played on Manor Farm Golf Links, East Finchley. Published by E J & H Clarke, East Finchley.


East Finchley Golf Club. 1913-14 O.S Map of Manor Farm.

The above O.S map is from 1913-14 and shows Manor Farm in the centre. The golf course is not marked but the land to the west and south is marked “Athletic Ground”. Reproduced from the {1913-14} Ordnance Survey Map.


Below the course to be used for housing development in 1905.


East Finchley Golf Club, London. The course to be used for housing February 1905.

From the Hampstead & Highgate Express Saturday 25th February 1905. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.


The Google Map below pinpoints the location of the former Manor Farm.  


View United Kingdom in a larger map


East Finchley Golf Club disappeared in 1904/5. Highgate, founded 1904 is the current club and occupies land to the south of Manor Farm (see Google Map).

The current Finchley Golf Club appears in 1929.