Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Colindale Golf Club, Hendon. (1920s)

Colindale Golf Club took over the course once occupied by the London Flying Club Golf Club at Hendon (see separate entry for London Flying Club history).

The following report appeared in the Hendon & Finchley Times on the 2nd April 1926. "We are informed that although the London Country Club closed down at the end of January, when the Government took over the Hendon Aerodrome, play has continued without a break. A new Members' Club has been formed with the title of The Colindale Golf Club, of which Sir Walrond Sinclair, K.B.E., has accepted the presidency, and a new tenancy has been obtained from H.M. Air Council. Considerable additions and improvements to the old course are being effected, and the club, which adjoins the Colindale Station on the Edgware extension of the Hampstead Tube Railway is one of the most accessible in London. We understand that the club is open to receive applications from intending members, and that the first one hundred will be accepted at a nominal fee of one guinea. Particulars may be obtained from Mr Gordon Sherry, the hon. secretary."  

The later secretary was C K Cotton. Telephone Colindale 6260. The professional was C Trapp and the green-keeper F Pickwick. It was listed as an 18-hole course at this time. Visitors’ fees were; 2/6 a day and Weekends 5/- a day. The tube Station at Colindale was 4 minutes away.

The club had a membership of  380. The amateur course record was held by C K Cotton with a score of 70. 


Colindale Golf Club, Hendon. Advert from 1926 for Colindale Golf Club.

Advert from The Stage April 15th 1926.


It was reported on 16th December 1927 that the Colindale Golf Club was to enter into Voluntary Liquidation.   


Colindale Golf Club, London. Area once occupied by the golf course.

The centre of the above map shows the area occupied by the “Hendon Aerodrome” unfortunately the golf course is not marked. Reproduced from the {1920} Ordnance Survey Map.


The Google Map below pinpoints the area nowadays.