Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Dyke Park Golf Club, Brighton. (1900s)

Report on the new Dyke Golf Club in January 1907.


Dyke Golf Club, Brighton. Report on the new Dyke Golf Club in January 1907.

West Sussex County Times Saturday 19 January 1907. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.


Several newspapers carried a report of the opening of the extended Dyke Park course in July 1908. A couple of the  reports mention that there were only fifteen-holes available for play on the day. 


Dyke Park Golf Club, Brighton. Some famous golfers at the opening of the golf course.

From the Daily Telegraph and Courier Friday 24th July 1908. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.


The extended course of the Dyke Park Golf Club, Brighton, was formally opened today (Saturday 25th July 1908) in glorious conditions with a match between the ex-champion, J H Taylor (Mid-Surrey) and Harry Vardon (South Herts.)

A foursome was played in the forenoon, Taylor and Mr C Parsons (Brighton & Hove) beating Vardon and Mr C Earnshaw (Dyke Park) by 3 & 2. The winners went round in 71 strokes. In the afternoon Taylor beat Vardon by 4 & 3. Taylor completed the round in the record score of 70. Details of the individual scores as follows.

Taylor - Out; 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4 = 36; Home; 3,3,5,3,3,4,4,5,4 = 34 - Total 70.

Vardon - Out; 5,4,4,5,4,5,3,4,4 = 38; Home; 4,4,4,4,4,4,3,4,3 = 34 - Total 72.

(Interesting to note that an eighteen-hole score is recorded, they must have played three holes twice.)

Lord George Nevill, the club president, intimated his intention to present the Dyke Park club with a challenge cup.

The following is from the Brighton Gazette April 1910. "Brighton Ramblers Club - The "Finlayson Gold Medal" was played for at the Dyke Park Golf Club on Saturday 9th April, result; C Lynn, 101-18-83; C Paddison, 99-15-84; E A Eager, 97-12-85; H Colbourne, 104-18-86; E C Bartlett, 109-22-87; H Saunders, 99-11-88; W Wallace, 103-12-91.

In the draw for the Southern Section of the Professional Tournament for £240, to be played at Stoke Poges in July 1910, C Earnshaw of Dyke Park, was partnered by Tom Vardon of Royal St George's.

Many thanks to Dixon Pickup for the following information and images on Dyke Park and the Ramblers Golf Club.

"A very fine hallmarked silver and double enamelled item to the "Ramblers Golf Club." Birmingham 1909 by Vaughtons (22.5mm). This is certainly a club within a club, as the winged golf ball and martlet decorated shield feature on the medals and buttons of the then "Dyke Park Golf Club" (now the Dyke Golf Club, Brighton).

The reverse is crudely scratch engraved, "Finlayson Gold Medal Aug 1910." A very handsome item, the 'Ramblers' must have been a well to do group." Are  the Ramblers still performing? probably not."

Dyke Park Golf Club appears in a guide written by Horace Hutchinson in c1909 - Founded in 1907. Hon Secretary; Harold Harker, "Parkstone" Dyke Road, Brighton. Entrance fee £1/1s and subs £2/2s. A downland course, with excellent turf. Hazards mostly gorse and ravines, very sporting. Amateur record E A Eager, 78. Bogey score 73. Dyke station was a quarter of a mile away. 


Dyke Park Golf Club, Brighton, Sussex. The "Ramblers Golf Club Button."

The impressive Ramblers Golf Club button.


Dyke Park Golf Club, Brighton, Sussex. Reverse of the "Ramblers Golf Club Button."

The reverse of the Ramblers button.Images courtesy of Dixon Pickup.


Dyke Park Golf Club, Brighton, Sussex. Silver award medal.

Above is the Dyke Park GC silver award medal with the winged golf ball above a portion of the arms of Brighton.


Dyke Park Golf Club, Brighton, Sussex. Reverse of the Silver award medal.

The rear of the medal (25 mm) has a wreath and is named P S Carden, January 1909.


If anyone has any further information on Dyke Park or The Ramblers please "Contact Us" through the website Home Page. 


Dyke Golf Club, Brighton. The first clubhouse.

The Dyke Golf Club's first clubhouse.


The Dyke Golf Club records its foundation date as 1906.