Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


South Devon Golf Club. (1895 - 1922)

The following report is from the Western Morning News Saturday 27th April 1895.

“At a meeting at Kingsbridge Road Hotel yesterday, Mr J Cornish Bowden in the chair, it was resolved to form a golf club, to be called the South Devon Golf Club. The links (through the kindness of the Misses Carew) will be on Ugborough Moor, within ten minutes’ walk of Kingsbridge Road station. Twenty names have already been handed in to the hon. secretary, Captain Conran. With the exceptionally favourable course, and the support already given, the club may be considered an assured success.”

Below is a report on the opening of the South Devon Golf Club course.

 

South Devon Golf Club. Report on the opening of the golf course August 1895.

From the Totnes Weekly Times Saturday 24th August 1895. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

The following is taken from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; South Brent - South Devon Golf Club - *Instituted 1886*; Hon. Secretary - J W Matthews, Ermewood, Ivybridge, South Devon; Captain, A L Mudge; Professional, J Saunders; Professional Course Record - J Saunders, 73; Amateur Course Record - G Jenner, 76; Nine-Holes; Entrance fee 10/- and Subs £1/10s; Visitors' fees, 1/- a day, 2/6 a week and 10/- a month.  Moorland Links. Hazards; streams, ditches and gorse. Greens good. Holes vary from 140 to 460 yards. Total length about 2,700 yards.

*Interesting to note the Institution date above as being 1886.*

Result of the 36-hole Beacon Challenge Cup played in May 1907; Capt. Parlby, 202-44-158; J W Matthews, 176-8-168; Rev. H Speare Cole, 202-28-174; Capt. Tritton, 188-14-174; R H Hughes, 212-32-180; F Harrison, 206-24-182; B F T Hare, 200-18-182; A T Mudge, 223-36-187; E H A Tolcher, 226-36-190.

The Beacon Cup 36-hole medal competition was played by the South Devon Golf Club at Wrangaton in May 1909, result; J W Matthews, 175-8-167; B F T Hare, 190-18-172; C H Grace, 214-40-174; Captain Parlby, 206-32-176; H Alger, 226-48-176; Captain Tritton, 192-14-178; E H A Tolcher, 206-24-182; Captain Colbourne, 221-36-185; Major London, 218-32-186.  Also played; F Harrison and Rev. H Speare-Cole. 

The club changed name and became the current Wrangaton Golf Club in 1922.

The club website state that the Wrangaton club was founded in 1895.

To confuse matters another South Devon Golf Club appears in 1910.

At a meeting of the “Torquay New Golf Company Ltd.”  in March 1910 it was decided to change the name of the club. The name of the club proposed by the directors was the “South Devon Golf Club,” but it was thought that this was not quite sufficiently distinctive and the word “Torquay” was added.

The formal opening of this course took place in 1911 and can be seen below.

 

South Devon Golf Club, Wrangaton. The opening of the Torquay and South Devon GC in May 1911.

From the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News Saturday 3rd June 1911. Image © Illustrated London News Group.

 

In 1938 “South Devon” was dropped from the title and it is nowadays known as Torquay Golf Club.

The Google Map below shows Wrangaton, home of the early South Devon Golf Club.