Okehampton Golf Club, Devon. (1901 - 1910)

The original Okehampton Golf Club was first mentioned in 1901, the club disappeared in about 1910.

The current Okehampton club was founded in 1913.

The opening match on the links recently acquired by the Okehampton Golf Club was played on Friday 21st June 1901 between teams representing the Artillery Camp and the Town.  

Camp   Town  
Major Patterson R.A 3 Rev J C Bateman 0
Major Burrard R.A 0 T H O Pease 3
J M Ingram R.A 3 Mrs Pease 0
  6   3

Further evidence of this earlier club is the result of a match played on the Okehampton course against Exeter Golf Club. The match was played on Saturday 21st September 1901.

Okehampton Golf Club   Exeter Golf Club  
Major Patterson 0 J W W Mathew 2
Dr F Whitelaw 1 E L Gay Roberts 0
F H O Pease 0 C W Wreford 11
Major Burrard 0 C T K Roberts 3
E Ingram 0 E Petherick 0
Rev G C Bateman 0 G Roberts 7
  1   23

Despite the cold weather there was a good turnout for a competition played by members and invited guests on Saturday 13th June 1903. The winner of the driving and putting competition was Captain Fitzgerald B.H.A. It was reported that "The links are beautifully situated and of a sporting character and have been much improved lately."

Still trying to find the location of the earlier course. If anyone can help please get in touch via the "Contact Us" facility on the website home page.