Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Blackmore Vale Golf Club, Sherborne. (1894 - 1910)

The club was founded in 1894.

The first course was near Sandford Road. A year later it moved to a course at Clatcombe Farm where it stayed for five years. The next move was to a course laid out on Lenthay Common where the Blackmore Vale club played until 1910.

The January 1896 medal was won by C A Fergusson with a net score of 50.

 

Blackmore Vale Golf Club, Sherborne. Match played at West Dorset in November 1896

From the Bridport News November 6th 1896. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

It was reported in December 1896 that the club had engaged a professional, Jefferies, from Westward Ho! under whose care their course is already better, and considerable improvements will shortly be carried out.

From Nisbet’s Golf Yearbook 1905; Instituted 1894; Membership of 15; Hon. Secretary – T W Wilson, Sherborne; Entrance Fee Nil and Subs £1; Nine-holes; Terms for visitors – 5s a week and 10s a month.  The course is a lengthy one, 1 mile from Sherborne, adjoining South Western Railway to Yeovil. The hazards are the railway, stone walls, a hedge and a brook. Hotel “Digby.”

Below is a report on the move to the “New Links” in 1910.

 

Blackmore Vale Golf Club, Sherborne. Move to the "New Links" in June 1910.

 

Blackmore Vale Golf Club, Sherborne. Move to the "New Links" in June 1910.

 

Blackmore Vale Golf Club, Sherborne. Move to the "New Links" in June 1910.

From the Western Chronicle Friday 24th June 1910.

 

At about the same time as the above report it was decided to change the name of the club from Blackmore Vale to Sherborne Golf Club.

The Google Map below shows Lenthay Common location of the Blackmore Vale golf course in the 1900s.