Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Northbourne Golf Club, Ringwood Rd, Bournemouth. (1934 - 1976)

Founded in 1934.

The course opening in June 1934.

 

Northbourne Golf Club, Bournemouth. Notice of the opening of the golf course in June 1934.

From the Bournemouth Graphic Saturday 2nd June 1934.

 

Northbourne Golf Club, Bournemouth. Notice of the opening of the golf course in June 1934.

From the Bournemouth Graphic Saturday 9th June 1934.

 

The secretary was E G Russell the professional E C Wren and the green-keeper H D Futcher. 18-hole course. The professional record holder was E C Wren 67. Visitors fees were, gents 2/6 a round, 3/6 a day, Sunday 3/6 a round and 4/- a day. ladies 2/-, 3/-, 3/- and 4/- respectively. The station at Bournemouth was 4 miles away.

 

Northbourne Golf Club, Bournemouth, Hants. Competition Spoon 1939.

 

Northbourne Golf Club, Bournemouth, Hants. Competition Spoon 1939.

Northbourne Golf Club 1939 Competition Spoon. Image courtesy of Graham Rowley.

 

In 1940 the secretary was M Clarke, Fairway House, West Howe, Bournemouth, telephone 49. The professional was E C Wren and the green-keeper W C Strange. 18-holes with a Par and SSS of 73and a membership of 430. Course records were, amateur E J Nicholl 72 and professional E C Wren 66. Visitors fees were 2/6 a round, 3/6 a day, Sundays 3/6 a round and 5/- a day.

Following WW2 the secretary was still Major M Clarke. The professional was J A Paterson and the greenkeeper  W C  Strange. Membership had drastically reduced to 230.

By 1951 the secretary at Northbourne Golf Club, Ringwood Road, West Howe, telephone 49 was W T Freeman, Fairway House, West Hove. The professional was J A Paterson and the green-keeper  E C Wren. The 18-hole course now had a SSS of 69 and Par 70. There was a membership of 300. Course records were as 1940. Visitors fees were 4/- a day, 5/- on Sunday. There were railway stations at Bournemouth 4 miles, Poole 3 ½ miles and Branksome 3 miles.

1956 and the professional was P Swann. 18 hole course of 6,034yds. Amateur course record held by P Sanders 66. Visitors fees were now 4/- a round, 6/- a day, Sunday 5/- a round, 7/6 a day.

*In 1960 the New Northbourne Golf Club at Francis Avenue, Wallisdown appeared. The secretary and professional was P Swann the green-keeper was still E C Wren. The 18-hole course had a SSS of 65 and measured 5,400yds. Course records were, amateur K W F Clarke 67, professional P Swann 63.

 

Northbourne Golf Club, Bournemouth, Hants. Official Handbook 1960s.

Official Handbook for Northbourne Golf Club, Wallisdown, (1960s.)

 

1964 and the secretary was D Cowan the professional was K Bowering and the green-keeper W Oliver. The 18-hole course now had a SSS and Par of 69 and measured 6,187yds. Amateur course record held by K W F Clarke 68. Visitors fees were 5/- a round, 7/6 a day, Saturday 7/6 and 10/-, Sunday and Bank Holiday 10/- and 15/-.

Towards the end of its existence in 1975 the secretary was D A Paterson and the professional Nigel Stainer. The 18-hole course now measured 6,044yds. Course records were, amateur I Brierley 69 and professional J Sharkey 67. Visitors fees were £1.50 during the week and £2  at weekend.

Also mentioned in the mid 1930s was a Wallisdown Golf Club, Bournemouth. No other information was found regarding this club during this period, it was probably the early name for Northbourne.

(*Note that the New Northbourne club in 1960 was at Wallisdown).

Northbourne Golf Club, Ringwood Road, became Knighton Heath in 1976.