Garvagh Golf Club, Co. Londonderry. (1921  - 1933)

The club first appeared in 1921.

A nine-hole course designed by Hughie McNeill, Royal Portrush, and laid-out on Hermtiage Farm to the north of the village. A hilly, testing course, with six par fours and three par threes, the course had a challenging par score of 33.  

The land was owned by William O’Kane, a local solicitor, whose wife was a keen golfer and driving force behind the venture. The course was used for the grazing of animals with the greens being fenced off for protection. Membership gradually rose to 35.

In 1922 a green-keeper was employed to maintain the course. Initially there was no recognised clubhouse/pavilion, the members had to share the shed used by the grounds-man where he stored his tools and equipment. As was the case with quite a few clubs they eventually purchased an old railway carriage and this served as the “clubhouse” from 1926.

The members played a number of club competitions which included the Welch Cup and the Valentia Cup, both for ladies; and the Hermitage Cup for men.


Garvagh Golf Club, Co. Londonderry. A group photograph of lady members.


The above picture shows some of the lady members; back row left to right – unknown, Mrs H Michael, Miss K Dallas; Mrs W O’Kane, unkown, Mrs K Duthie; front row – unknown, unknown, Mrs Mooney, Mrs Hazleton, Miss Macauseland, unknown, Mrs M Fitz-Simons. The ladies’ section made up half of the membership.

The club made its final appearance in the 1933 Golfer’s Handbook when it was listed as; Garvagh Golf Club, Co Londonderry.