Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Killua Castle Golf Club, Clonmellon, Co. Westmeath. (1922 - 1955)

The club was founded in 1922 on land owned by a Mr Hackett. The President of the club was the Marquis of Headfort who hit the opening shot on the course in June 1922.

 In 1923 the secretary was C Y Pratt, Ulster Bank, Atteboy. The professional and greenkeeper was R Smyth.  The club captain was Mr S B Murray. A nine-hole course with a club membership of 230. Professional course record holder was R Smyth with a score of 65. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day. Sunday play was allowed with caddies. Stations were at Atteboy or Kelk both about 5 miles away.

In the early 1930s the secretary was J C Cooney, John Street, Kells; professional, R Sm(y)ith and green-keeper, J Rourke; membership 200;amateur record, G Cooney 35; professional record, P O'Connor 33.  

The joint secretaries in 1940 and 1947 were Father H Conlon and W R Prescott. The green-keeper was J Rourke.

From 1951 to its final appearance in 1955 the secretary was Father H Conlon and the green-keeper J Rourke. The 9-hole course had a SSS of 72 and a membership of 80.


Killua Castle Golf Club, Clonmellon, Westmeath. The Marquis of Headfort.

Marquis of Headfort playing at the opening of Killua Castle Golf Club.


Killua Castle Golf Club, Clonmellon, Westmeath. Opening day crowds.

The opening day crowds with Killua Castle in the background.


Killua Castle Golf Club, Clonmellon, Westmeath. The undulating course.

The above picture shows an interesting undulating course.