Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Longford Golf Club, County Longford. (1902 - 1960s)

Founded 1902/10.

In 1914 the secretary was S Boyd, Ulster Bank Ltd. A 9 hole course with a membership of 30. There was no entry fee. Subs were £1. Sunday play was allowed with caddies.

In 1923 the secretary was W F Bennett, Longford. 9 holes. The Station at Longford was ½ mile away.

In 1930 the secretary was W Boyd and the greenkeeper J Green. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 5/- a week and 10/- a month. Membership at this time was 100.

In 1935 the secretary was M V Hanley, 9 St Marys, Longford the greenkeeper was L Farrell. Visitors’ fees 2/- a day, 7/6 a week and £1 a month.


Longford Golf Club, County Longford. Scorecard for Longford Golf Club.

Scorecard for the Longford Golf Club.


In 1940 the secretary was D L Foley, Munster & Leinster Bank, Longford. The greenkeeper was L Farrell.

The 9 hole course had a SSS and Par score of 72. There was a membership of 190. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 7/6 a week and 15/- a month. Sunday play allowed. Local  hotels were the Longford Arms, Stoker’s and the Stafford.

In 1947 the secretary was M A Farrell, Solicitor, Green View, Longford, telephone number 19. The greenkeeper was still L Farrell. There was a membership of 180. Interesting to note that the railway station was now  over a mile from the course.

By 1951 the secretary, M Farrell, had also taken on the roll of grenkeeper. Visitors’ fees were now 3/- a day.

1960 and the joint secretaries were J Kelly and P McNulty the greenkeeper was P Hopkins.

Longford Golf Club disappeared towards the end of the 1960s when the secretary was Dr H V Connolly and the greenkeeper P Hopkins. The 9 hole course had a SSS of 70 and was 2,785yds in length. There was a club membership of a very satisfactory 250 at this time. Visitors’ fees were 3/6 a day and Sunday play was allowed. The station had reverted to being only half mile from the course. Local advertised hotels were the Annally and the Logford Arms.