Cecil Golf Club, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. (1922 – WW2)

 The club had a twelve-hole course and was founded in 1922, it continued until WW2.

Below is a short history of the club from the Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser in January 1953.

 

Cecil Golf Club, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. A short history of the Cecil Golf Club.

Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser Saturday 3rd January 1953. Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Competition results from June 1923.

 

Cecil Golf Club, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. Competition results from June 1923.

 

Cecil Golf Club, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire. Competition results from June 1923.

Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser Saturday 16th June 1923. Image © Trinity Mirror. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

A D Evans, secretary, appealed for a large attendance for the annual meeting in the Burgh Hall, Calder Street, on Saturday 15th March 1924.

The second annual social, prize presentation, whist drive and dance took place in the Rosehall Welare Hall in January 1925, the president, J Walker in the chair. Mr A D Evans, vice-president, presented the prizes to the following; Ladies’ Championship – Mrs T Kerr (silver rose bowl); Gent’s Championship – W Law (silver cup); Monthly Medal – Mr F Sinclair (stationery cabinet.) Mrs G Rae, wife of the club captain, handed out the whist prizes.

In 1927 the club secretary was William Laurie, 5a Brown Street, Coatbridge.

In November 1937 an application for a water supply to the clubhouse was granted by the Coatbbridge District Water Board.