Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Aberdeen Golf Club. (1780 - 1888)

Founded in 1780 as the Society of Golfers at Aberdeen.

Extract from the Golfing Annual Vol. V 1891-92:-

"The club formerly played on the Aberdeen Links course, but on March 31st 1888 , they opened a private course on the Balgownie Links, situated two miles north of Aberdeen, near the mouth of the Don. 

The Aberdeen Golf Club appears to have come after, and in the place of, a club called the "Society of Golfers at Aberdeen," instituted on May 9th 1783, a printed copy of whose "Regulations, with a list of the original members and the Laws of Golf" is still extant; but this "society of golfers" had become dissolved before the institution of the present club. A golf club must have existed in Aberdeen even before 1783, as the ballot box still in possession of the club bears the inscription, "The Aberdeen Golf Club, 1780." The game itself has been played on the Aberdeen Links from time immemorial. In "A description of both Touns of Aberdeen," written by James Gordon, Parson of Rothiemay in 1661, it is stated that "The Lynx extend themselves almost betwixt the two rivers of Done and Dee. Hear (sic) the inhabitants recreat themselves with several kynds of exercises such as football, goffe, bowling and archerie." 

Advert from April 1781.

 

Aberdeen Golf Club. Advert from the Aberdeen Press and Journal April 1781.

From the Aberdeen Press & Journal Monday 16th April 1781. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

In 1815 Aberdeen Golf Club was formed, this club played on common land known as Queens Links.

Below is a report on the “golf revival" at Aberdeen.

 

Aberdeen Golf Club. The annual meeting of the Aberdeen Club April 1816.

From the Caledonian Mercury Saturday 13th April 1816. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

The club seems to have takes on the "Royal" title in 1879.

 

Aberdeen Golf Club. The club seems to have takes on the Royal title in 1879.

From the Glasgow Evening Post Thursday 1st May 1879. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

The monthly competition was played in February 1891 and was won by Mr Cornelius Thompson with a score of 99. It was reported that "the day was most unfavourable for play, owing to the high wind and showers of sleet, and the links were in very bad order, there being much snow and water on the course".

Below is the entry from the 1888/89 Golfing Annual. It records some of the early history and mentions the “new links” at Balgownie, the club’s current course.

 

Aberdeen Golf Club. Entry from the Golfing Annual 1888/89.

 

Aberdeen Golf Club. Entry from the Golfing Annual 1888/89.

Entry from the Golfing Annual 1888/89.

 

The club moved to Balgownie in 1888.

It became Royal Aberdeen Golf Club in 1903.

The Google Map below shows Queens Links, the location of the golf course from 1815 until 1888.