Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Cullen Golf Club, Moray. (1700s - 1905)

On the club website the foundation date is given as 1870.

Other reference books give dates of institution as 1876 and 1879. 

It’s thought that the earlier course was of three-holes but this needs clarification. 

There is mention that golf was played in some form at Cullen for at least two hundred years prior to the above dates. 

Below is evidence of organised golf played in June 1876.

 

Cullen Golf Club, Moray. Competition results from June 1876.

From the Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser Tuesday 13th June 1876. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

A return six a side match against Cullen was played at Banff Golf Club on Wednesday 27th August 1879, teams as follows; Banff - Sheriff Moncrieff (captain); Rev. Mr Chisholm; Mr Watt, National Bank; Mr Spence (Boyndie House); James Simpson, jun., (Colleonard); Mr Watt (Boyndie House); Cullen - Mr Anderson, North of Scotland Bank, (captain); Mr Stewart, Merchant; Mr Cheyne, Inland Revenue; Charles Duffus; James Sinclair; Mr Forgan, St Andrews. The match was decided by holes, after two rounds of the links, Cullen were victorious by the large number of 40 holes. This was mainly due to the "inexperience" of the Banff players.

Below is the nine-hole links course which was laid out by Old Tom Morris.

 

Cullen Golf Club, Moray. Layout of the nine-hole course on Cullen Links.

Layout of the Old Tom nine-hole course at Cullen.

 

The Golfing Annual 1888/89 below gives an institution date of 1876. It also mentions that the earlier course had been destroyed, this was due to the building of the Railway Viaduct which took place in the 1870s. 

 

Cullen Golf Club, Moray. Entry for Cullen from the Golfing Annual 1888/89.

Entry from the Golfing Annual 1888/89.

 

In June 1891 the Scott-Moncrieff medal, played for half yearly, was won by James Moir, 102-3-99.

The annual meeting was held in April 1901 George Sievwright, captain, presided. The following officers were elected; President - James Campbell, Old Cullen; vice-presidents - Alexander Asher; A W Black; Dr Lawrence; E Street, London; Alex Sim, solicitor; P Hay, solicitor; Mr Bruce, Tochineal; Mr Miller, Seafield.

Result of a mixed foursome competition played in August 1902; Miss Simpson and D Barry, 60-6-54; Miss A Sinclair and N Dewar, 66-10-56; Miss L Shand and Mr Campbell, 64-5-59; Miss G Sinclair and Sergeant Major Smith, 69-10-59; Miss Forsyth and J Barry, 64-4-60; Mrs McHardy and W King, 68-8-60; Miss Clark and W Priest, 63-2-61.  

The annual meeting of the club was held in the Courtroom in January 1903, J D Sharp, captain, presided. Mr Moir, secretary, submitted the statement of accounts which showed the funds to be in a flourishing state. Following officers were appointed; President, James Campbell; vice-presidents - A Asher, K.C., M.P.; Mr Black, M.P; Mr Bruce, Mr Sim, Mr Miller, Mr Street, P Hay, Mr Davidson, York Villa; Dr Lawrence; secretary and treasurer, William Reid.

Result of a handicap competition played in August 1904. The day was fine and the greens were keen; Dr Thomson, 81-3-78; Mr Irvine, 87-6-81; Mr Addison, 87-4-83.

Below the present eighteen-hole course opened in 1905. 

 

Cullen Golf Club, Moray. A report on the opening of the new golf course June 1905.

From the Aberdeen People's Journal Saturday 24th June 1905. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

The Google Map below pinpoints the Railway Viaduct at Cullen site of the earlier course.