Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Dunnet Bay Golf Club, Highland. (1921 - WW2)

The club first appeared in the early 1921.

The Dunnet Bay Golf Club took over the Dunnet Links course in 1921.

The course had previously been used by the Thurso Golf Club since 1893 (see separate article on this website for the early history of Thurso Golf Club.)

In 1925 the secretary at Dunnet Bay Golf Club, Caithness was A W Tulloch, Lisowen, Castletown. The professional was J L MacGregor and the green-keeper W Angus. A nine-hole course with a membership of 60. The professional course record was held by T Jamieson with a score of 74. Visitors’ fees were 5/- a month. The station at Thurso was 5 miles away. The Northern Sands Hotel is located on the A836, adjacent to the village church. It was originally called The Golf Links Hotel.

The sign in the field on the right of the picture below says Dunnet Bay Golf Course.


Dunnet Bay Golf Club, Highland. The Dunnet Bay Golf Course.

Two people pass Dunnet Bay golf course (to the right). A rare Valentines A3193 postcard Authors Collection


By 1928 membership had reduced to 50. The amateur course record was held by Dr J G Macgregor (score not recorded) Visitors’ fees were now 5/- a week, 10/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed.


Dunnet Bay Golf Club, Highland. Location of the golf course.

Location of the Dunnet Bay course.

Grid reference ND22360,70665, co-ordinates 322360,970665.


Dunnet Bay Golf Club had disappeared by WW2.