Murrayfield Golf Club, Edinburgh. (1896 - 1904)

Founded in 1896 the original twelve hole course was situated where Cambell Road, Campbell Avenue, Cumlodden Road and Lennel Avenue are today.

The club moved to its current location in 1904.

The Murrayfield Ladies played Craigmillar in 1904 (see Craigmillar entry for result)


Murrayfield Golf Club, Edinburgh. The Clubhouse in 1895.

The Murrayfield Clubhouse.


Above is a sketch of the Murrayfield Clubhouse, it appeared in the Evening News on October 23rd 1897.  It was opened on the same day by Sir Lewis McIver, Bart., M.P. The house was built on Ravelstone Road with extensive views of the Forth and the Fife coast. It was designed by Cooper & Taylor of George Street.  

Result of the August 1898 monthly medal; J A Welsh, 77-6-71; Tom Craig, 94-13-81; J D Brown, 83; C Sainsbury, 98-12-86; A P Nimmo, 98-10-88. 

The pavilion (but no course) is marked on a 1908 OS map. Grid reference NT22060,73670, co-ordinates 322060,673670.