Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas


Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Bridgend & Coity Golf Club. (1927 - WW2)

The 9-hole course first appeared in 1927, when the secretary was J I Thomas, Parc Gwyllt Farm, Bridgend. The professional and green-keeper was J Sharratt. Visitors’ fees were 2/6d a day, 7/6d a week. Sunday play was not allowed. The station at Bridgend was 2 miles away.

In June 1927 Cyril Evans holed in one at the 157 yard third hole on the Coity course.

Entry from the 1933 Golfer's Handbook; Membership of 94; Secretary - W Welbury, Menthyrmaur Road, Bridgend; Professional and green-keeper, T Tudor; Nine-holes; Visitors, 2s a day, 7/6d a week.  

Result of a match played at Coity against Monmouth Golf Club in July 1937.

Bridgend and Coity Golf Club   Monmouth Golf Club  
S Preece 0 H G Waldon 1
J C Evans 1 J G Meredith 0
Dr. Jarman 0 H Hill 1
S J Evans 1 H Matterface 0
A Williams 1 T Tylor Taylor 0
S D Thom (halved) 0 H Bowen (halved) 0
W Wright 0 S Davis Taylor 1
H D Fisher 0 A H French 1
T G Jenkins 0 H G Hodges 1
S Preece and J C Evans 1 H G Waldon and J G Meredith 0
Dr. Jarman and S J Evans 1 H Hill and H Matterface 0
A Williams and S D Thom 1 T Tylor Taylor and H Bowen 0
H D Fisher and T G Jenkins 0 A H French and H G Hodges 1
  6   6

The following report is from the Western Mail in March 1939. "Golfer Whist-Drive - To wind up the social events for the winter of the Bridgend and Coity Golf Club, a whist-drive was held at Wyndham Hotel, Bridgend."

In 1940 and 1947 the secretary was J F Stuart Oakes, Ash Lane, West Road, Bridgend. The professional and green-keeper  was W J Lloyd. There was a club membership of 90. The course had a SSS of 68. Visitors’ fees were now 1/6d a day, 2/- on Sunday, 7/6d a week.

Bridgend & Coity Golf Club. Location of the course.

Location of the Coity course.
Grid reference SS92445,81670, co-ordinates 292445,181670.

Bridgend & Coity Golf Club had disappeared by 1951.