Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Cerrigydruidion Golf Club, Conwy. (1898 - WW2)

Founded in 1898.

In 1906 the 18-hole course was the property of Colonel C S Mainwaring, Cerrigydruidion, (then in Denbighshire). By 1913 John Morris of Hoylake had carried out an inspection and designed the new lengthened 18-hole course. The “High Hole” of 340 yards was 1165ft above sea level, with magnificent views of the Snowdon range. The clubhouse, which had been enlarged, was situated near the Great Holyhead Road, stated at the time to be the finest motoring road in North Wales. The nearest railway stations were at Corwen (G.W.R) 10miles away and Bettws y Coed (L.N.W.R) 12 miles away. Little information could be found following WW1 but the club still existed until at least the outbreak of WW2. Evidence of this can be found in local newspapers of the time, when the club played matches against local clubs. Corwen Golf Club, now also defunct, were regular opponents but matches were also played against Ruthin, Bala and Dolgellau Golf Clubs during this time. Local hotel was the White Lion.


Cerrigydruidion Golf Club, Conwy. View of the former course in 2004.

Picture taken in 2004 looking across the old Cerrig y Druidion course and what appears to be a green in the centre of the picture. Authors Collection.


In 1914 the secretary was Colonel C S Mainwaring, Cerrig y Drudion. The 18 hole course was on old mountain turf. Subs were £1. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 5/- a week and 10/- month. Sunday play was allowed for weekly monthly and yearly members.

Below is the result of a one sided club match played against Corwen at Cerrig on Saturday 5th August 1922.

Cerrig   Corwen  
Rev W G Evans 0 N D Garner 1
G Humphreys 0 Jabez Evans 1
Tom Roberts 0 D Buckley 1
R O Roberts 0 S Roberts 1
Lt Buckley 0 J H Evans 1
R R Roberts 0 W J Griffith 1
R Williams 0 E P Griffith 1
R Roberts 0 H Williams 1
  0   8

Below is the result of a club match played against Corwen at Cerrig in May 1924.


Cerrig   Corwen  
H R Richards (3&1) 1 N D Garner 0
Idwal Davies (2&1) 1 Jabez Evans 0
Tom Roberts (1up) 1 Artro Owen 0
C R Roberts (half) 0 O A Lloyd (half) 0
R O Roberts 0 Gwilym Humphreys (5&4) 1
Frank Jones (4&2) 1 Henry Williams 0
J Winston Jones 0 T Lloyd Jones (5&3) 1
D M Evans 0 Brynle Hughes (2&1) 1
  4   3


Cerrig   Corwen  
Richards & Davies 0 Garner & Evans (2up) 1
Tom & R O Roberts (2up) 1 Owen & Lloyd 0
Frank Jones &  C R Roberts 0 Humphreys & Williams (2&1) 1
Winston Jones & D M Evans 0 Lloyd Jones & B Hughes (3up) 1
  1   3

The monthly spoon competition for September 1936 was won by Mr R R Roberts who returned a score of 66. Mr G F Roberts, Midland Bank, has been appointed Treasurer of the club to succeed Mr G O Edwards who had moved to Penygroes.

Congratulations were passed to R R Roberts,Bodlondeb on winning The Dawes Cup for the second year in succession.This competition was played on Colwyn Bay links and was open to competitors from North Wales.

The annual meeting was held in March 1939, the rector in the chair. The balance sheet was showing a surplus. Mr T W Roberts was elected captain for 1939 with Mr G F Roberts, Midland Bank as secretary. The memebership fee had been reduced for the year.


Cerrigydruidion Golf Club, Conwy. The former clubhouse in 2004.

Above is the former clubhouse at Cerrig now a private residence. Authors Collection.


Cerrigydruidion Golf Club, Conwy. Course location.

Above is the location of the former course. Grid reference, SH95830,48780, co-ordinates, 295830,348780.