Open Search -

Like us on Facebook

Course Atlas -

Course Atlas

Please consider supporting our efforts.


Aberdare Valley, Rhondda. (1907 - 1947)

Founded in 1907, the original nine-hole course was designed by Herbert Foord. It was eventually extended to eighteen holes in the mid 1920s. In 1947 the SSS was 71. Railway stations at Dyffryn Crossing and Mountain Ash were one mile away. Sunday play was not allowed until the late 1930s.

1914                       Owen Williams, 80 Commercial Street, Mountain Ash
1922                       Alex McCormack, Monk Houses
1924 - 1947         G Salusbury-Roberts, Town Hall, Mountain Ash (later of the Bungalow, Mountain Ash)




Course records


J Morris




J S H Morris

William Bebb

W L Morgan (a) 75
J S H Morris (p) 70

1924 - 1930

Stewart Bowen

H Jeremiah



R Evans

E Phillips


1940 - 1947

R Evans

E Benyon


Entry fees for gents in 1914 were £1/1/0, and for ladies 10/6d. Subs for gents were £2/2/0 and ladies £1/1/0. Membership of 167. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 6/- a week, 15/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed. By 1922, there were 139 gents and 66 lady members. This membership varied only slightly  throughout the club’s existence, but had reduced to about 110 by 1947. Fees increased to 2/6d per day, 10/- a week, and £1 a month in 1922, remaining the same until 1947.


Aberdare Valley Golf Club, Rhondda. Aberdare Valley golf course on the 1919 OS map.

Aberdare Valley Golf Club/Course is marked in the centre of the above map. Reproduced from the {1919} Ordnance Survey Map.


Aberdare Valley Golf Club had disappeared by 1951 and the current club, Mountain Ash appears.